Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Why I love Fantasy novels, stories and movies

So here I am sitting bored at home. Doing what I usually do. When I am not writting I am drawing. When I am not drawing I am writing. When I am not doing either of those things I watch a movie or surf the internet. Although I never read the books I look up video interviews of the author of Game of thrones (a song of ice and fire) Geroge RR Martin. While I was browsing videos of his interviews I ran into a video that had the most thing I have ever heard from and author. It seemed that it came from deep in his heart. Soaring from the heaven and into his mind as if he whispered it in his sleep.

I was mesmerized by the words. Those words send me flying up high for a moment. Here is the link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hJhmxc3Arw

Here is the long passage. I am not sure where he first wrote it is beautiful.

The best fantasy is written in the language of dreams. It is alive as dreams are alive, more real than real ... for a moment at least ... that long magic moment before we wake. Fantasy is silver and scarlet, indigo and azure, obsidian veined with gold and lapis lazuli. Reality is plywood and plastic, done up in mud brown and olive drab. Fantasy tastes of habaneros and honey, cinnamon and cloves, rare red meat and wines as sweet as summer. Reality is beans and tofu, and ashes at the end. Reality is the strip malls of Burbank, the smokestacks of Cleveland, a parking garage in Newark. Fantasy is the towers of Minas Tirith, the ancient stones of Gormenghast, the halls of Camelot. Fantasy flies on the wings of Icarus, reality on Southwest Airlines. Why do our dreams become so much smaller when they finally come true? We read fantasy to find the colors again, I think. To taste strong spices and hear the songs the sirens sang. There is something old and true in fantasy that speaks to something deep within us, to the child who dreamt that one day he would hunt the forests of the night, and feast beneath the hollow hills, and find a love to last forever somewhere south of Oz and north of Shangri-La.They can keep their heaven. When I die, I'd sooner go to middle Earth.
 Those words brought tears in my eyes. 
Why do we love fantasy?
To escape I like to say. At least for the moment. Although we must deal with the harshness of reality and move towards our ideal happy life in this earth. Sometimes we need to escape. 
 I believe that when we become in tune with our inner ideal peaceful world we tend to find it in the real world. Fantasy is good for the soul. It lets you know what you want in real life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment